We started working on the baby's nursery way back in January. This is the room as it looked before. It was our playroom or the kids' t.v. room.
We had to figure out what to do with the two big chairs and the piano in the room. The chairs are too nice to get rid of and the piano is mine from when I was little. I was not going to give it up.
So, we decided to move the piano into our bedroom. This is not ideal, but there wasn't another option. The two big chairs went into the office. The office had its own make-over as well because it now is an office/t.v. room.
In February, we painted the walls.
Kris wanted to texture them and scrape the popcorn off the ceiling as well, so he did that prior to painting.
We painted the walls a light gray color.
The first part of March we got new carpet for the nursery as well as the boys' room, Hannah's room and our bedroom. We needed it really bad.
After the carpet was in I was SO ready to get on the decorating. I had found my bedding and had pinned lots of stuff on Pinterest that I wanted to do. Just a few days before the baby came, we got it all done. I LOVE how it turned out.
The peg board was a Pinterest idea. We got it at Lowe's and Kris just spray painted it. The L.E. Keim sign on the top actually came off of Kris' grandfather's mailbox. We have had it for a while in the boys' room. It is neat because Kris' grandfather was the first L.E. Keim. We still had the changing table in the boys room so we just moved it into the nursery.
I love having the baskets for the diapers and things. They are so convenient.
I saw this whale wall hanging at Target a while back but didn't go back and get it until I actually decided to do whales in the room. There is still room to add a few more knick knacks in it. We had two of these book shelves in the office and since we needed more room in there for the big chairs, we put one in the nursery and one in the boys' room. I still had most of the children's books that I had had with the other kids to add to it.
I found the curtains at Target. We had the little night stand in our bedroom. We painted it and the curtain rod a turquoise blue color. I looked and looked for an orange lamp and finally found the perfect one at Target.
The rocking chair is special because it was my moms. She rocked my brothers and I in it and I have used it with each of my kids. I originally planned to make some cushions for it myself but when I found these pillows at the At Home store, I went the easier route.
Hannah found this picture at the At Home store too. When I saw it, I knew that I needed to do whales. It was perfect.
We already had the cubicle shelf in the playroom so I just moved it into the closet for more book storage and bought some navy and orange bins.
We got the baby bed at Target. It matched pretty closely with the changing table and book shelf which I was glad about.
All along I knew that I wanted to make a sign for above the bed out of pallet wood. Dad took apart the pallet for me during Spring Break. The scripture was one that we talked about in Ladies Bible Class. We were talking about how we can either bless people or curse them even with our facial expressions. When I got to thinking about this verse as a blessing, I knew that I wanted to use it to bless this child everyday--and all of my kids for that matter.
Here is the wood before I did anything to it.
I took some gray acrylic paint and added water to it and kind of white washed the wood.
Then, I had my handyman nail it together for me.
The real work came with the letters. I looked on Pinterest and found a font that I liked and downloaded it. Then, I had to figure out how big to make it to fit my boards. Once I had that figured out, I printed out the verse. Then, I cut out each word. I placed them all on the board to try to figure out spacing. One word at a time, I took white chalk and colored the back of the word with it. Next, I placed it on the wood and took a pencil and filled in each letter making sure I pressed down pretty hard. When, I lifted up each word, I had a chalk stencil on the wood which I then used to paint the word with acrylic paint. I went over each word twice. It was SO time consuming.
It took me all of a Saturday to paint it and boy, was I worn out. But I LOVE it. It is special and I plan to have it for years to come.
Something else that I made myself was a nursing cover. It was actually not hard to make at all. I also had one more cloth diaper left over from Layton that I used to make a burp cloth out of as well.
Once we got the room done, I was beyond ready for this baby to come!!! We hung up the last thing, the pallet wood sign, on May 7th. Just in time!!