Sunday, August 18, 2013

Camp Tahkodah!

Several months ago my friend, Amanda, messaged me and asked if I would be interested in sending Hannah to Camp Tahkodah this summer with Emma.  I hadn't realized that she was old enough to go yet.  I mentioned it to Hannah and she was SUPER excited!  So, we signed the girls up and told their friend, Kenzie, about it too.  Hannah could not wait to go, so when the end of July finally got here, she was thrilled!  We signed up for a 1 week session the last week in July.  

The kids had to arrive at camp on that Sunday afternoon, so we left church before class and stopped in Searcy for lunch with our friends.  It was good to catch up with the Dyniewski's again.  They moved to Dallas about a year ago.  Hannah has missed her friend, Emma, but they seemed to pick right back up where they left off.  I love that!  Emma rode with us from Searcy to camp.  Think they were excited?


Emma and Hannah on Hannah's bed after getting all settled in!




Kenzie, Hannah, and Emma.  Sweet friends since birth pretty much!


The first thing we did after getting her set up in the cabin was head down to the creek to watch the boys do their swimming tryout.  Here are all the girls, including Hannah B who also was in their cabin, on the bridge that goes across the creek.



They went and got in their swim suits a little later to do their tryout.


The boys were fascinated by all that was going on.  They watched and played and had a great time.



You have to be able to swim across the creek and back unassisted to not have to use a life jacket.  I could tell Hannah was a little nervous about this because she was pretty quiet prior to doing it.  I just think she didn't know what to expect.


All the girls listening to instructions.



Here they go!  


That girl flew across that creek with no problem at all.  So proud of her.  It was quite obvious how happy she was when it was all over.  It was like she could take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy herself.  And she did.  We said our good-byes at this point and left!  I really didn't have too hard of a time with it because I knew she would be fine.  I think she thoroughly enjoyed herself.  Amy sent me a video of her a little later jumping off the bridge into the water and she also loved the rope swing they had where you swung out over the creek and then let go.  She said she did it alot.  I love that she is brave like that.

She told us she got to go horseback riding, do archery (she said she wasn't very good), play basketball, do crafts, canoeing, fishing, hiking, etc.  Her favorite things were the rope swing while swimming and the horseback riding.  Their Bible classes were about the Armor of God.  I guess the theme was "Armored."  She loved getting her mail every day.  I sent her little notes with some simple treats and Mimi and Grandma both sent her notes as well.



I let her take a disposable camera (which I haven't developed yet) and another smaller camera we have.  The pictures she took crack me up, but I love them!  Here they are:

Emma taking a picture.


Her stuffed dog on her bed.  Hilarious.


Emma before bed.  


Love this one.  Wish it wasn't blurry.


My guess is Emma took the next two.



They had quiet time every day and could write in their journals.


Hannah took a picture of this journal entry.  So funny!


Emma writing in her journal.


One of the guy counselors.


Love her pose.  Sweet, sweet girl.


Lincoln went to stay most of the week with Mimi and Pappaw.  He had a blast and did all kinds of fun things with my dad.  It was good for him to get some one-on-one attention.  I need to get the pictures from my mom to post.  I missed Hannah and was ready to see her by Friday.  The boys and I drove up to get her Friday morning.  Layton gave her a big hug when he saw her.  So precious.


She was proud of her Tahkodah shirt.  All her friends signed it.


They wanted to take a silly picture.



Two Hannahs!


Saying good-bye to Emma.  I definitely hope that camp is one way they can stay in touch over the years.


Hannah with a couple of other girls from her cabin.


She had so much fun.  I was just so happy for her.  She definitely wants to go back next year and I am so glad!  What a great way to make good Christian friends, grow closer to God, push yourself and get a little out of your comfort zone, make tons of memories, and have all kinds of fun!!


She came home with a picture of all the girls in her cabin.  She also told us that she got the Bible Class Award and the Barnabas Award for her cabin.  That just topped it off for me!  So so proud of our girl!!




No comments: