Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days"

I used to have a tape of the Judds when I was little. One of the songs on it was "Grandpa (Tell Me 'Bout the Good Old Days)". I really liked that song. I was reminded of the "Good Old Days" last weekend when the kids and I went to visit my parents. The Good Old Days for me were when I was little and we'd go visit my grandparents--both sets. My mom's parents lived in Nashville, Arkansas, for a while and then moved to Texarkana. My dad's parents lived in Bloomburg, Texas, just about 25 minutes or so from us. I had a lot of cousins that were around my age, so we used to have a blast together. We'd play all kinds of sports, play in the hay in the barn, play house, etc. I have so many good memories of these times.

Friday night we went down to the land (soon to be new house) and looked at the garden and checked on the cows. It brought back so many memories for me of when I was a little girl and we'd go to visit my dad's parents on their farm almost every weekend. My Pappaw had cows and always had a garden. We helped dig potatoes, shuck corn, or shell some peas--purple hull, I remember, the kind that turned your fingers purple. We'd love to see if the watermelons were ready and thoroughly enjoyed eating them and spitting the seeds out on the ground.


I wish my kids could experience what I did growing up. The closeness of family is so important to me. Unfortunately, we don't live as close to my parents or Kris' parents as I would like. So, we make great memories whenever we get the chance!


Wes turned the big 3 0 on the 4th! He was so excited!


The fam--headed down to the farm in Pappaw's truck. This was fun for the kids to get to ride in the truck with no carseats!

Walking in the garden. The last time we were here, there wasn't much to see. This time there was lots to see!

My favorite part--riding in the back of the truck while going to check on/feed the cows. We used to do this with my dad and my cousins in the back of MY Pappaw's truck when I was little. We'd throw the cows hay and then sit on the tail gate and watch them eat. Such fun!


I love this picture of Lincoln with his hair blowing in the wind.



Hannah with her Uncle Wes and


her Uncle Jeff. She loves them! I think she was looking at the cows in this picture--a little unsure about walking anywhere near them.


My dad celebrated a birthday on Saturday. He and the boys went fishing that morning for the first time in like 15 years! They really enjoyed it!




They caught about 17 fish. They especially enjoyed cleaning them so that we could fry them that night!


I LOVE this picture. How cute is Lincoln watching his Pappaw clean that fish! He was dying to touch it and eventually did!


Look at this sweet, sweet face!



After lunch on Saturday, Lincoln wanted more strawberries. So, he climbed up onto the chair (something he does CONSTANTLY) and helped himself! I turned around while washing dishes and caught him doing this. It was too cute!


Gotchya!!

June 13th is my Mammaw's 92nd birthday! Happy Birthday Mammaw! We love you!

Times with family are so special. I miss the "Good Old Days" when things were simpler, not so hectic, and there was nothing to worry about--like when I was little.

1 comment:

Little Rock Real Estate said...

Wow. That was a great post. I love the pics of Hannah and her uncles and Linc sneaking the strawberries.