Thursday, October 1, 2009

Remission?

I have been extremely emotional today. Today was Hannah's Rheumatology check-up. We have tapered her off the Methotrexate and so she had her last shot last Thursday! Today the dr said her joints looked great and used the word "remission."


Hannah getting her last shot-hopefully for a long, long time.



I was talking to someone earlier today and said that word. Then I said, "Wow. That's not really a word you want to say about your child." It just kind of hit me. I realize we are not talking about cancer here, but nonetheless this is a serious disease--one that could affect my little girl for the rest of her life.


I am super happy with where Hannah is with this disease right now. We are so blessed she has responded to the treatment so well. However, the dr said that if it was going to come back, it typically will be in the next 2-3 months. This really terrifies me. The dr also wants to have Hannah get both flu shots and she needs her 5 year vaccines--one of which is the MMR. I went onto facebook today to look for a support group and was reading some other mom's concerns about JRA and vaccines and I am literally scared to death of Hannah getting these vaccines and it bringing back the arthritis. Dr's will tell you it won't happen, but sometimes parents just have gut feelings that the vaccines trigger things.


This is just an exciting and scary time. I really want to trust the Lord, but I am so scared. Hannah has been so fortunate that her JRA has not been as bad as many, many children out there. I am so grateful for that but it is still so unpredictable and this is hard. There are just so many important decisions to make about this as one of her parents. It is stressful.


Obviously I am needing to vent. This is just what has been on my heart today.

****Wow! God is truly amazing. The neatest thing just happened to me. Right after I wrote this post, I went to do my daily Bible reading (that I am behind on). I am reading the New Testament in One Year for Busy Moms. Every day starts out with either a quote from the section of the Bible that you will read or a summary of it. Then, you have the chapter or verses that you read that day and then at the end there are some thoughts/questions to think about.

This is what I read:

God's strength will uphold us from within through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Bible reading was Ephesians 3:1-21. In verses 16-19 Paul says,
"I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."

At the end it had this thought: "Every mom has rough days. Whatever might get you down and leave you feeling weak, remember the hope of God's love and strength within you through the Holy Spirit, and rejoice!"

Amazing!

2 comments:

Jessica Harriman said...

Jamie, I don't know the history of Hannah's illness, but I will keep her and you in my prayers. Sounds like remission is a good thing! We miss being at church. We have been there a couple times with Mary Ella, but only for worship. And about the time she is really getting old enough to get out football season has started. We will be going to all of the games in Fayetteville, so we may not see ya'll for a while. Just wanted you to know we're still around and doing well. :)

JR and Hilari said...

Jamie,

That was a great post - the mixed feelings we get in reference to our children are so overwhelming at times. I'm so glad to hear that Hannah is doing well. I also wanted to ask you what Bible study aid you're using for mothers. I'm looking for a good one - it helps to have a guide to go by in this busy life! See you at church.

Hilari