Friday, March 22, 2013

In the midst of a storm...

Early this morning around 3:00 a.m., it started to storm outside.  I almost always wake up when I hear it.  As soon as I woke up and heard it, I figured my little Layton would be in our room soon.  He doesn't like storms either.  I was right.  After that first big crack of thunder and downpour of rain, he came running down the hall crying.  I quickly got up to get him.  It is instinct for me.  I grabbed him up and hugged him close and told him that it was just rain and it was okay.  I brought him into our room to sleep with us because I didn't want him to be scared.  After I laid him down and saw that his sweet little eyes were closed, I heard this

"Mom, I not scary anymore."

My heart pretty much melted right there looking at that sweet little face.  All I could think about was what a blessing he has been to me.  I can not imagine what life would have been like without my sweet baby.  Such love.  I prayed right then and there for him and for his future.  I just love him so much.

After my prayer I began to think about God and how this little moment reminded me so much of Him.  I thought about how much comfort it brought to little Layton, when he woke up scared, to be able to run to me and his daddy because he knew he would be safe with us.  He sought comfort in us and immediately found it.  I couldn't help but think that that is how it should be with us and God.  When we are scared or troubled, we can go straight to Him and be comforted.  He is always there.  In the calm and in the storms.

It is amazing how one simple moment at three in the morning can turn into such a big moment of reflection.  God is amazing.  He is always there.  He uses all kinds of things to get us to see Him.  Last night, he used my baby boy.

No comments: