Friday, December 7, 2007

Potty Training Update

Trying to potty train Hannah has NOT been fun! I guess I really started with it back in mid-July or so. It has just been up and down. One day she seems like she is fine with going, and others she fights me tooth and nail. I have given up numerous times. She knows how to keep clean pants, but the staying dry has been the hard part for us. I'd try to get her to sit on the potty and she would throw the biggest fit. It would be so frustrating!

This last week for some reason I have really wanted to get serious about it. So, I decided to put her in panties everyday. She has had some accidents definitely, but is doing pretty well. Yesterday, she actually stayed dry all day long! I have even been venturing out on short errands with her in her panties. She is doing great! I am hoping that we have turned a corner on this and are nearing the end of the road!!

A while back I decided to start a sticker chart for her. She would get 4 stickers every time she went to the bathroom, one for using the potty, one for flushing the toilet, one for washing her hands, and one because she was a big girl! She has already filled one chart, so a month or so ago we took her to Chuck E Cheese. She had so much fun! She IS a little scared of Chuck E Cheese though. She says he has sharp teeth!
So, I told her we'd go back to Chuck E Cheese when she filled up another chart. Here's her chart!

So, we are going to Chuck E. Cheese tonight! The chart seems to be working pretty well, so I sat in the floor this morning and made another one. She has been making charts too "for her babies." Here is my chart and then look at hers. She copies EVERYTHING I do!!!

FUNNY THING HANNAH SAID TO ME TODAY:

Carrie called and I told Hannah that she and Jack were going to come over later. Here's our conversation:

Hannah - "We're going to Carrie's house?"
Me - "No, they are coming over here."
Hannah - "Where does Carrie live?"
Me - "In an apartment."
Hannah - "Where does Jennifer live?"
Me - "In Alexander."
Hannah - "Alexander?"
Me - "Do you want to live in a bigger house?"
Hannah - "Yeah."
Me - "How about one like Emma's, with stairs?"
Hannah - "Yeah, I wanna trade."




2 comments:

The Warriors said...

Hannah has absolutely the sweetest little face!! That conversation makes me so excited for when Lydia will start talking to us! One of the nurses I work with was having the same "staying dry" problem with her little girl and she started putting her in sundresses with no panties for 2 or 3 days in a row and she never had any accidents after that. I guess it was something psychological about not having a barrier there.

Paige Horras said...

You don't know me, but I somehow stumbled upon your blog. I too have a 3 year old little girl and was having the hardest time potty training her. I would get so frusterated and in turn I think it made things more difficult. I also gave up a few times, but recently we seem to have made huge strides. What I did was individually wrap lots of little prizes (dollar store type things like puzzles,books, coloring books, playdoh, sticker books, etc...) Each time she went to the potty she got to choose a gift to open. It really worked. It helped her to have something tangible to work towards. Promising her treats,charts, positive praise- none of that seemed to work until I tried this. She has now been using the potty for several weeks and tells me when she needs to go. I still use pull-ups at night but that's it. I just wanted to comment because like you, I was so frusterated! Hope it works out for you! Hang in there.