Saturday, May 17, 2008

Remembering An "Old" Friend...

This is the first blog post I've ever made, and I'm not sure I have intentions of ever making another post. However, I thought it was appropriate just this one time to make an exception to my own personal rule about never making a blog.


Approximately 12 years ago I met a young guy that became one of my best friends, and a person who has had one of the largest impacts on my life. While I was living in Brisbane, Australia, Steven Bishop started coming to my youth group and quickly became a crowd favorite in the group. Steve - "Widget" as we called him - was very personable and quick witted, and he had a great sense of humor. You see, Steve was struggling with friedreich's ataxia and was slowly losing control of his nervous system.

Through all of this, it was Steve's outlook on life that endeared so many people to him. Even with all of the struggles that Steve had, he never once allowed these physical ailments keep him from living life. I can remember one time when a group of us decided that we would go sky diving and Steve wanted to go too. He was so put out when his doctor wouldn't sign a medical release so he could go with us. Ultimately, he found a doctor that would sign a release, and he got to go sky diving after all! A few years after I moved back to the States, he travelled half way around the world by himself just so he could come and visit some close friends here in the States. If you've ever flown a long distance, you know how much a trip can wear you out even when you are totally healthy. But Steven did it-and with his typical mischevious smile!

One year ago today (18th), my friend lost this struggle with this terrible disease. But one year ago today, Steve received his new body. He'll never have to worry about not being able to walk, or have help eating, or struggling for his next breath. And as painful as it is for those of us that loved him and miss him, I couldn't be happier for him. I do miss him terribly, but I know I'll see him again, and the first thing he's going to ask me is, "Where you been? It sure took you long enough to get here!"

In the short time I knew him, Steven taught me so much. Here are just a few things:

1. He taught me what it is like to truly look forward to Heaven. It would do us all a lot of good to do this half as much as he did.

2. He taught me patience.

3. He taught me the value in taking care of a close friend.

4. He taught me to appreciate my health--however good it is.

5. He taught me that I need to appreciate my family more.

6. He showed me what it's like to smile in the face of adversity.

7. He showed me that you can make an impact on people that you've never even met.

I miss my good friend, but I am truly happy for him, and I know that some day we'll be hanging out together teasing each other and laughing--just like old times.


Steven--I love you brother.


K

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Kris I am so thankful that you shared. That was very inspirational and heartfelt.
Thank You

Just a note: Watchout this blog thing is addictive! I know you are ready to share more.

Amanda