Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My First 10K!!!

Sunday morning I ran in my first race ever (outside of high school)-- the 10K at the Little Rock Marathon.  A 10K is 6.2 miles.  It was so much fun!!  I really enjoyed it and felt so good about myself after completing it.

I guess back at the beginning of December I decided to join the newest gym in town, 10 Fitness.  I love that it is only $10 a month with no contract, is not too far from our house, and it is owned by a couple that are in our class at church.  So, when it opened the first part of December, I started going at 5:00 a.m. a few times a week and running on the treadmill mostly.  Then, Carrie and I decided we were going to do the 10K in March, so I started training for it just after the first of the year.  It really wasn't that hard.  You just do a couple of miles 3-4 times a week and then do a longer run on the weekend.  I did most of my weekend runs at the Park.  Thanks to the weather being so nice, it really wasn't ever too bad.  The longest I ran was 8 miles.  Couldn't believe I did that.

I am a goal oriented person.  Always have been.  So, that was one of my motivations for doing this.  I also wanted to tone up and I feel like it has really helped.

Here are Carrie and I around mile 1 when we spotted Craig, Kris, and all our kids!
I am so thankful to have had Carrie to do this with.  She is such an encourager.  The whole time she was saying things like "We got this.  We can do it!"  Love her!!!!
This was at the home stretch.  We really ran hard at the end because we realized we were so close to coming in at around 1 hour--which was fast for us!

I love this picture!  We were so happy we were at the end!  Ha!
With our medals!  We ended up finishing at 1:03:49.  Our pace was 10:18, but my phone said it was 10:01!  Ha!  I was 258 out of 936 overall and 23/115 in my age division (35-39 yrs).  I was 138/676 out of females overall.  I had to put this all in here--just so I could remember it!





 I couldn't resist taking my picture next to this graffiti we saw as we walked back to the car.  I thought it was funny.

What a great experience!  I definitely think I will attempt a half marathon next!

No comments: