Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Days of Summer

I have so many random pictures of things that we have been doing lately, I thought I'd just put them all in one big post.  Some of these go back several weeks to the very beginning of summer break.  We are having a really great summer and it is going by so fast to me!

The first picture is of a door hanger I made to give out as my bunko gifts back in May when I hosted it at my house.  I made four of them and kept one for myself.  It was great for Memorial Day and I just realized I need to go put it on my door again for the 4th tomorrow!  I really enjoy doing these burlap door hanger projects!


We joined a pool this year in Benton.  I had to really plead my case to Kris, but I totally think it has been worth the money!  Our kids LOVE to swim and so do I.  We go several times a week for several hours.  The kids are taking swim lessons this week and doing great.  I put them in the beginning class because I thought I should since they had never had lessons before.  I really think they should have been in a more advanced class.  They have been doing well swimming this summer.  They can both pretty much swim. I still watch them like hawks though.  The great thing about the pool we are going to is that it has a separate kiddie pool that is 1.5 feet deep--perfect for Layton.  He loves it.  I have decided to keep him in his puddle jumper while in there though because sometimes he loses his balance and can struggle to get back up out of the water.  I feel like he is safer with it on.  He thinks he is big stuff.  He doesn't mind to go underwater at all.  I tell Hannah and Lincoln to stay in the shallower area while I am in the kiddie pool with Layt.  They have plenty of room to play.  Then, when I go in the big pool with them, they get to jump in where it is a bit deeper and practice swimming where they can't touch as well.  We are just really enjoying our pool time--especially with all these hot, hot days we are having!

The kids really like to take our lunch and eat at the pool too!


I have decided I am going to try to put the kids to work a little this summer  :).  So on the days I clean, I have been having them dust their rooms and vacuum them.  Hannah has even cleaned her bathroom mirror and sink.  Lincoln is the bathroom trash taker outer!


At the beginning of summer Lincoln went to Anna Claire's birthday party.  Anna Claire was in his preschool class.  Her parents rented this big blow up jumpy house with a slide.  Lincoln had such a blast!






They jumped on the trampoline too.  This boy loves trampolines.  Our neighbors across the street have one and he is constantly wanting to go jump on it.


One weekend, Mike and Stacey had us over for dinner and grilled out some chicken.  The kids swam and jumped on the trampoline there too.  We love hanging out with the Stephens.  The kids love each other and Mike and Stacey are truly great friends that we have had for a long time.



They played with water balloons too.  We picked up tons and tons of pieces of balloons when they were done.



We've done a few art projects, but honestly not as many as I had imagined we would do.  Days just get by me.  I started the summer with these big plans of things we could do at home--projects and activities.  I researched things and printed things off Pinterest.  I made us a daily schedule.  Hannah loved this and at the beginning thought we had to follow it to a tee.  I had to remind her it was just something we could go by, but some days things would probably play out differently.  Most days we get up, do our morning chores, the kids play while I either exercise or do a bit of house work.  Then we go swimming, eat lunch, and I put Layt down for a nap.  I had the kids go through all their movies at the beginning of the summer and make a list of ones they wanted to watch.  Hannah loved making this list.  :)  So, every day when I put Layt down for his nap, they look to see what movie is next on their list.  This helps them not fight every day over what they are going to watch.  It also gives both me and them some down time.  I get to watch tv, blog, read, or do laundry.  Usually they are ready to play after their movie.  They will either play Legos or house or maybe outside with the neighbor kids.

Anyway, like I said, we haven't done many art projects or anything, but this particular day, we were making cards for the Dyniewskis!


I totally missed out on signing the kids up for the library's summer reading program this year.  We have gone to the library a time or two.  I also had high hopes of them doing lots of reading this summer, but that hasn't really happened either.  It does on occasion, though, and I got the cutest picture of Hannah reading Lincoln some Lego books he checked out.


I helped with a baby shower for Alex Robinson back at the end of May.  It was an Auburn theme, so I made her an Auburn onesie burlap door hanger.  It turned out super cute and she seemed to like it!  This was the front.


And this was the back.


Kris has gotten the kids hooked on Mr. Bean.  He puts in the dvds and they just laugh and laugh.  Even Layton watches the silliness!  Ha!


This is Lincoln and Kris watching Mr. Bean!


Ok, so Hannah and I had one day where we did do a craft.  I had checked out a book from the library on things to make with old t-shirts.  I thought we could make a swimsuit cover up.  It was pretty easy and she could jazz it up like she wanted it.


We took the star button off and Hannah sewed it on a different place.


We had these glue-on gems that we used to jazz it up!  It turned out so cute!!  Here she is modeling it!




She also wanted to do a little sewing with her sewing machine Grandma gave her for Christmas one day when Mimi was here.


Layton loves his Pappaw and sticks to him like glue when he is around.



Mimi and Pappaw finally got to watch one of Linc's t-ball games.  He had a great time playing t-ball, so I will do a separate post all about that soon!


 Layton loved to go to the games too!  Glad they ended though before it got too hot.


We have spent several afternoons in the sprinkler trying to cool off!  This was the first time we used the big beach ball one Layt got for his birthday.




I love our backyard.  I wish it wasn't so hot, so the kids would want to go out and play more.  When they do, though, they really enjoy it--especially Layton.  One day last week, Hannah and Lincoln had been out there playing and then left to go to a neighbors house.  I was inside vacuuming the living room, so I decided to let Layton stay out there for a few minutes, by himself, because he was just sitting at the picnic table playing his little heart out with the dirt and stuff.  He was so cute sitting out there.


Next thing I know, he is at the back door trying to come in and looked like this.  I think he dumped a bowl of mud on himself and he knew he was dirty!  Ha!


We celebrated a lot of birthdays in June.  The last one was Kris'.  Hannah made this "Happy Birthday" banner all by herself for her daddy!  I couldn't believe how good of a job she did.  She taped it up and everything.  She is one thoughtful little girl.  I love her.


I made some fresh peach pies for Kris for his birthday and the kids and I surprised him with them at work that day.


Lincoln went to another friend from preschool's birthday party earlier this summer.  It was a swimming party.  He and Harrison had gotten to be pretty good buddies.  



Right before our beach trip, I used the pedicure and manicure gift card that I got for Mother's Day from Kris, and Hannah and I went and got our nails done.  She just loved it and it was good to do something just she and I!


This was just a picture from the beach that I took on my phone and didn't get included in the beach posts.  I think it was one of the only ones of all three of them together on the beach.  Love it!


Here the kids were watching Hannah's hermit crab.  He had come all the way out of his shell and was crawling around.  Hannah thought he looked creepy and I have to say I agree with her.  Poor guy.  He ended up dying like a day later.  Don't know why, but he was some good entertainment for a few days!  :)


These long summer days are just wearing us out!  This was what the kids looked like one Wednesday night on our way to eat before church.  They play so hard!!  Hey, isn't that what you are supposed to do during summer vacation??!!




No comments: