Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Visitor From Australia!!

At the beginning of July, we had a very exciting visitor come stay with us for several days!  We had been looking forward to Alyssa's visit for quite a while.  Alyssa and Kris go way back!  She was about 4 years old when he first stayed with her and her family in Australia while he was on 6 week campaigns there with Harding.  She is 23 now.  He went back several times on campaigns there and then upon graduating from Harding went to Brisbane to live and work for 2 years.  So, Australia is just part of Kris' heart and so having Alyssa come to visit us while she was touring the U.S. for the first time, was very special for Kris--and our whole family!  I hadn't seen her since 2004 when Kris and I visited Australia.  It had been 5 or so years I think since Kris had seen her.  Anyway, we had a lot of fun showing her Little Rock and spending some fun times with her!

Now Alyssa, if you are reading this, don't kill me for this picture!  Ha!  On Friday after the kids last day of swimming lessons, we decided to go bowling.  None of us are the greatest bowlers but we are kind of competitive.  I think we had fun!  :)










After bowling we took her to Genghis Grill.  Then, she and Kris went to the movies while the kids and I met up with the Smiths and the Tappes for some yogurt/playtime.  The Smiths were in town for a few days and it was good to see them and catch up!  I joked with them that Kris was on a date with another girl!  Ha!

On Saturday we decided to go to Magic Springs!  We were excited about this!  We road a few kiddie rides first.  This one just about made me sick.  It was Layton's first ride and he wasn't too sure what to think at first.  I think once he saw us smiling and laughing and having fun with it, he realized it wasn't too bad and actually seemed to like it!





Layton and Kris on the little ferris wheel.






We spent quite a bit of time waiting in line for the Log Ride, but everyone seemed to like it!  I stayed back with Layton.







After that we ate and then the kids were dying to go to the water park.  Oh how I wish I couldn't have had my camera in there.  They absolutely had a blast.  They have some fun kid-sized slides and plenty of other things to do in the water.  They just loved it.  Layton went down slide after slide after slide.  The kids just love the water!!  We played for several hours and then headed home around supper time.

When we got home, Kris made his famous Macho Nachos.  Apparently he used to make these for his youth group a lot in Australia.


Sunday we went to church and then came home and I fixed a pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and green bean bundles (I think if I remember right).  The funniest thing happened while I was cooking the potatoes.  I put them on to boil and Alyssa just thought I had cooked them to death and couldn't get over it.  Come to find out, they don't really make mashed potatoes like we do in the states.  So, she got to experience some real mashed potatoes.  It was so funny because she thought that I was ruining them!  Hehe!!

Sunday afternoon I met my parents in Arkadelphia for them to take the kids for several days.  I decided I would send Layton too this time.  I just really needed a break.  I was going to head to Texarkana Wednesday afternoon, so I thought he could handle it.  He did great and had no problems!  Anyway, that night Kris and I took Alyssa to Larry's Pizza.  It was something totally new for her.  She must have liked it okay because she recently put on facebook that she had some pizza for the first time in a while and all she could think about was how disappointed she was that it wasn't a baked potato pizza from Larry's!

Monday morning we said our goodbyes and I took Alyssa to the airport.  We thoroughly enjoyed spending time with her!!  She was SUPER with the kids and they loved her!  She was so sweet and  brought them all Build-A-Bears dressed in Aussie attire!  They love them!  Thanks so much, Alyssa, for coming and staying with us!  We can't wait for your next visit!!!


No comments: