Monday, January 26, 2015

A New Year. Some New Goals.

I had thought I would do a "good-bye and good riddance" 2014 post, but I have since thought better about it.  2014 was probably one of the hardest years I have ever had and maybe one day I will blog about some of it but not right now.  I think I would rather start focusing on all the positives.  There were many wonderful things that happened last year as well, like our Disney Trip, Dad being accepted at church, and a financial blessing that was a surprise and an answer to prayer.   2014 was also probably a year in which I have grown more than I ever have as well.

On November 29 my Jesus Calling devo truly put things in perspective for me.  This is what it said:

"Let me infuse My Peace into your innermost being.  As you sit quietly in the Light of My Presence, you can sense Peace growing within you.  This is not something that you accomplish through self-discipline and willpower; it is opening yourself to receive My blessing.

In this age of independence, people find it hard to acknowledge their neediness.  However, I have taken you along a path that has highlighted your need for Me, placing you in situations where your strengths were irrelevant and your weaknesses were glaringly evident.  Through the aridity of those desert marches, I have drawn you closer and closer to Myself.  You have discovered flowers of Peace blossoming in the most desolate places.  You have learned to thank Me for hard times and difficult journeys, trusting that through them I accomplish My best work.  You have realized that needing Me is the key to knowing Me intimately, which is the gift above all gifts."

This has lead me to one of my 2015 goals:  To be more thankful.  Our children's ministers sent us a little "Be Thankful" journal in the mail and challenged us to "consider dedicating 2015 to the simple discipline of giving thanks to God everyday."  By filling this journal out as a family throughout the year we will be able to look back together over all the things that made us smile.  Then, I think they are going to have a Thanksgiving Bon Fire where we share some of our favorites with each other. I think it is a wonderful idea and just what I needed!

Here are some more of my goals for this year:

2.) To read more books and watch less t.v.  I have challenged myself to read at least 2 books a month.  I am really looking forward to this one!!  This should make for less t.v. watching.

3.) To eat healthier and to get my family involved as well.  God has provided a way for me to try to do this because PV recently announced that they are going to start doing "The Daniel Plan: 40 Days to a Healthier Life."  Several of my friends are going to do it too.  I am excited to see what happens.

4.) To exercise regularly.  I was doing great at this until about April and I quit my class thinking I could just do it myself at home.  That didn't work out too well for me.  So, as of the first of this month, I am back to my Moms On the Move workout group that meets 3 times a week.  I love that it includes step aerobics, kickboxing, and bootcamp which are all things that I like.

5.) To read the bible all the way through. I have done this before but it has been a while.  I am actually using the Bible App on my phone to do this.  It has so many great reading plans.  I chose "The Bible in a Year" one and I really like it because I get to read from several different books each day.  I am using the app to keep track of the reading but I actually like physically reading out of my bible better than reading it from the app.

6.) To print out at least 2 years worth of this blog.  This one is one that has been on my mind for forever.  I REALLY want to get this blog printed into a book by year.  However, the cost of doing so scares me to death.  Eight years worth is overwhelming so I am just going to try to do at least 2 a year and one of these days I will catch up!

7.) To have more date nights with Kris. This one is very much needed and I am going to have to be very intentional to make this happen!!

8.) To be more of an encourager. This one is especially for Kris, but I want to be better about this overall.  Cards are easy to write and something I know I can do, so I will start there.

9.) To take a photography class.  I love to take pictures but want to understand how to take pictures manually with my camera.

10.) To be more organized. I am a fairly organized person as it is but I could do better.  So, I got myself a nice, new planner to help me out.  I love it!!!



I am actually excited to see what this new year brings.  I know that God is present with me, that I need Him, and that by leaning on Him, I will be just fine.


No comments: