Friday, April 4, 2008

What a night!!!

I HATE tornado warnings---especially when the sirens go off. We had some severe thunderstorms come through here last night around 9:30. I think at about 10:00 or so we decided to get the kids up and put them in the bathtub to take shelter. There had been a tornado spotted in Benton/Bryant and it was coming our way. After a few minutes of being in the tub, Lincoln woke up, got really excited, and wanted to play. Kris told everyone at his work today that I "cowered" in the tub with the kids. Okay, so I guess I did. I am TERRIFIED of tornadoes!!! When I hear that there is one spotted somewhere, especially if it could come near me, I FREAK OUT!! I can start to feel the adrenaline start pumping--seriously! I go into this mode of--I've got to get out the mattress and get ready cause it could be here any minute. Kris always gives me the most reassuring look when I get like this---NOT!!!!! He looks at me like I'm crazy and then proceeds to go outside and look at the sky over and over again while I'm in the house trying not to start crying in front of the kids. I actually composed myself last night. They never had a clue what was going on. Hannah, surprisingly never asked why we were in the bathtub with pillows all around us in the middle of the night.

Anyway, things finally blew over. We weren't hit here, but some of our friends had some close calls in Benton. The kids actually were able to go back to sleep fairly easily. It was a scary night for me. I stayed up until 12:30 watching the weather just to make sure everything was going to be okay before I went to bed. Kris was snoring on the couch by 11:00.

I'm mainly telling this so people can get a good laugh in. I know I'm silly about this stuff sometimes, but I really am scared of tornadoes.

4 comments:

Matt and Rachel said...

I'm right there with ya! We spent the better part of the night in the laundry room -- just a big ol' slumber party! :)

Dixie said...

I'm there too! And (he will hate that I'm putting this out there for everyone)so is Doug! I was stuck in a gas station bathroom taking cover, scared to death and unable to get home because it was raining and hailing so hard we could not see to drive. And Doug and E were having a pillow party in the bathtub at home!

Jill said...

I dont' forsee a move to Saline County in your future!

Anonymous said...

Jamie - I'm enjoying your blog. It's a good way to keep up with you guys. I'll let you know when we make a trip to AR again.

I am totally right there with you when it comes to severe storms. Mat laughs at me when I bolt out of bed to check the weather on TV. I have to know what's going on outside. We actually ended up in our guest bathroom for 15 minutes last Wednesday with the sirens going off. I was so scared!

Love you guys!
Shanna