Friday, February 10, 2012

Cold, Rainy Day Fun

Today has just been one of those yucky days where you stay in the house and try not to get too bored.  It is cold and has been rainy.  I had to come up with something to do with the boys to pass the time.  Of course, good ole Pinterest was the place to go for ideas and I found some good ones!  

After lunch we made funny marshmallow faces.  Well, we tried that is.  Lincoln was really more interested in just seeing what kind of concoction he could put together.  We had regular size marshmallows and some big campfire ones.  Then, I went to my pantry and just found whatever I thought we could use to decorate these things that I already had.  We used some writing icing, some candy buttons, Cocoa Krispies, Fruity Cheerios, and different sprinkles.  You could get so crazy with things to decorate with.  
Layton was a bit unsure at first because sticky stuff was getting on his hands and he just doesn't care for this too much.

I showed him how to put Cheerios on top of his marshmallow and then he got it and started to enjoy himself.



I kept trying to get Lincoln to make some faces on his, but he just liked decorating the tops of his marshmallows.  He immediately wanted to eat his first one, but I made him hold off a bit so we could take pictures of all his creations.



Lincoln's funny marshmallows.
Finally getting to try them out!
My funny marshmallows!  I had so much fun doing this!  Ha!
At the end I got the idea to do a snowman.  Lincoln helped me come up with ways to decorate him.  We had a good laugh over our marshmallow snowman!!
Next, we did Magic Milk Painting.  You just put some milk in a shallow dish and then add a few drops of different color food coloring all around your dish.  This would have been way better if I would have had liquid food coloring, but I only had the gel kind.  We may have to do this again with the liquid kind.  Anyway, after you put the food coloring in, you take a toothpick (the "magic" toothpick) and dip it in some dish soap.  Then, you have your kiddo dip the toothpick into the food coloring.  This causes the colors to sort of radiate from the toothpick.  It is a neat reaction.  You just have them keep dipping their toothpick in the colors all the while making cool designs.  Lincoln just swirled his all together pretty quickly though.





We had fun and we passed some of this dreary day.  Hooray!

No comments: