Monday, October 22, 2007

Checkups!!

We had a busy morning! Both of the kids had checkups today with Dr. Byrum, their pediatrician. Hannah had her 3 year and Lincoln had his nine month. Our appointment was at 10:20, but we didn't leave there until 12:45!!! The doctor's office was so busy today. There were a lot of kids on the sick side and a lot of kids getting flu shots!!


Anyway, Hannah was 26 1/2 lbs and 34 1/2 inches tall (10% and 5%). She's just a little thing!! She had to get a flu shot and a Hepatitis A shot today. Yuck! Dr. Byrum asked how her arthritis was doing. I explained to him that she seems to be doing better--except when she gets a fever, which makes her wrist and ankle hurt alot. She seems to get these fevers every 4-6 weeks. He talked to us about Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. He said it was important to maintain a balance between the two. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation and Omega-6 fatty acids promote inflammation. He said that our bodies should have a ratio of 1:1 (1 Omega-3 to 1 Omega-6). However, the U.S. diet has more like a 1:20 ratio!! In other words, we eat too much McDonald's, pizza, etc.


Dr. Byrum wants Hannah to have a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish and certain plant oils (tuna, salmon, flax seed, flax seed oil, etc). I need to do alot more research on this to find out exactly what things for her to eat or take. We go to the Rheumatologist on November 1st. So, I plan to discuss all this with Dr. Morris then. Luckily, Hannah seems to like tuna at least. I don't know about salmon or anything else. She can be a pretty picky eater, so this is probably going to be HARD! I know there are some supplements out there she may be able to take, but that's what I want to talk to Dr. Morris about.


This was all very interesting to me. Dr. Byrum said that paying more attention to these Omega-3 fatty acids was just a part of the whole picture in treating Hannah's arthritis. It is not any miracle cure or anything, but I am very interested to see if maybe it can help in some way.


As for my little guy, or should I say BIG BOY, he was 23 lbs 3 ozs and 29 inches tall (90% & 75%). He's only 3 pounds different from his big sister!!!! CRAZY!!!! Lincoln had to have a flu shot as well as a CBC to test for anemia. Everything was fine with that. He may have a little pink eye though. :( He's had some yucky goop in one of his eyes for the last couple of days. They are actually going to do a culture to see if it is a bacteria or possibly just an allergy. He does seem to have some allergies, though, because he has a little eczema, swollen eyes, and a runny nose. We've got to take an antihistamine every night for that.


More update on Lincoln:


He has 7 teeth now (4 top, 3 bottom).
He is eating more table foods now like meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, diced carrots, broccoli, cheese, bread, tortillas, peaches, and biscuits. He thinks he has to have whatever we are eating.
He has finally learned to go from his belly to a sitting position.
He can say "Ma Ma" and "ball".
He plays ball. He'll throw it back to me when I roll it to him. He claps his hands and gets so excited!

Here's a couple of pictures from today! Thanks MiMi for Lincoln's new coat! It is great!


6 comments:

Little Rock Real Estate said...

9 months already!!!! That is so cute that he can play ball with you. So glad that the checkup was good. You should have Andrea have some of her people look into the Omega 3 stuff. You are a trooper taking 2 kids to the doctor in the rain during flu shot time.

shelly dahl

Amanda said...

We took Emma to get her shot with Dr Byrum on Monday too. We were in the afternoon. Emma was 29 lbs. I have heard of the omega fatty acid thing before but don't really know much about it. Good luck with salmon.

Matt and Rachel said...

I can't believe how BIG Lincoln is! Wow! Looks like Hannah is just going to be little and petite -- lucky her! :)

Jennifer said...

Jamie, have you ever made salmon patties? It sounds gross, but they are very good. Just a thought. I was just sitting here laughing because I was remembering back to when Hannah would go to the doctor and you were concerned about her being so little and now Lincoln is just the opposite. He is the sweetest little guy. It gives me hope to think that my maybe our next one won't have weight issues in the beginning like Benson did.

Jamie said...

Yes, I grew up on salmon patties and like them very much. I just need to start making them more often! Kris is going to love me! I don't think he likes them too much!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie!
I am so glad that their appointment went well. Lincoln is such a big boy, playing ball and eating so many "real" foods!!! And Hannah is just as cute as always! I wanted to tell you, I use "Barilla Plus" pasta everytime I make spaghetti. We can't tell the difference from regular pasta and it is made from wholegrain and has flaxseed in it to supply Omega 3. Sounds gross, but it really is good, maybe Hannah would like it.
Talk to you later.
Dixie