Thursday, September 15, 2011

Me

I am always doing posts to talk about my kids.  I thought it was my turn.  Ha!  I've been a busy bee lately.  I have discovered over the last few years that I really like to do crafts.  I like to make things or recreate things I should say.  I love finding a cute idea and then making my own of it.  Yes, I love Pinterest.  It has more ideas on it than I could possible ever do, but it is oh so fun to check it all out and maybe, when I find the time, do a craft or two.

I helped with my friend Leanne's baby shower a couple of weeks ago.  I saw this cute gift idea on Pinterest and decided to try it out.  It is a cupcake made out of a receiving blanket and a onesie placed inside a coffee filter and tied with a ribbon.  Adorable. 
Then you put four of them in a cake box and it is even more adorable!
The shower was at Julie's house and the theme was "She's Going to Pop".  She decorated the tables so cute.

She had a dessert table that had ring pops on it, flavored popcorn (watermelon, grape, and green apple), blow pops, toosie roll pops, oreo pops, etc.  It was so neat.  I know this really doesn't have anything to do with me but it was just so much fun I thought I'd include a few pictures. :)
Carrie, me, Leanne, and Julie at the shower. 
 Back to the crafting!  I also saw this idea for a wreath on Pinterest.  It is made out of scrapbook paper.  The one that I saw was a Christmas one with Christmas paper.  I couldn't find any Christmas paper that I really liked yet, so I decided to go with fall colors.  I will probably do a Christmas one later.  I hung it on the inside of my front door.  This was a fun project. 

My latest craze has been making burlap door hangers.  I have made 6 pumpkin ones.  I made my mom one for her birthday.  She seemed to really like it.

 I made myself one and made three more to give away as gifts for Bunko which I hosted on Monday night.  They were a hit!  I created my own stencils and used them for the letters rather than free-handing them.  I like them better this way, but they were definitely more time consuming.  I thoroughly enjoyed this project as well and will definitely be making some more for other holidays!!  I can't wait!
Kris had given me a gift card to Hobby Lobby for Mother's Day.  That is what I have been using to buy all the stuff for these crafts.  So, any family that is reading this, Jamie LOVES Hobby Lobby gift cards!! :)

My next project to do is to recreate this:

I found it on Pinterest as well.  I've already painted the canvas and some letters.  I think it will look great in our playroom and I LOVE what it says!!  I have realized that I enjoy painting things.  I think that all these crafts satisfy that need in me to be detailed and that feeling of accomplishment when I have done something that I like.  The perfectionist, detail oriented side of me used to be satisfied by doing accounting I guess.  Now, since I don't work outside the home, crafting is fullfilling those needs. Ha!

What else have I been up to?  Well, there is the never ending pile of laundry that I dread doing each week.  Trying to keep my house somewhat clean.  I used to be more of a stickler about my house.  I feel like I am letting go more lately though.  I almost have to.  Life is busy with three little kids.

I started Ladies Bible Class at church this week.  I am SO excited about it.  We are doing Linda Smith's latest study called Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus: A Study of How Jesus Valued Women.  I know it will be great.  Linda is one of the best Christian women that I know.  I have so much respect for her.  I especially love getting to be in a small group with ladies of all ages too.  I think I need this in my life.

We also started a new Life Group this past week on Wednesday nights.  We will be meeting at the building for the first time in a LONG time.  I am very happy about this--for our kids.  They have a kids' program at the building that they get to participate in.  I have felt like in the past when we met in homes, our kids were kind of getting the short straw when it came to Bible.  It was just so hard.  We have a pretty big group, but we have some couples that are a bit older than us and I think this will be so neat.  We were a part of a multi-generational group last year and felt like it was a great thing.  We are looking forward to getting to know people that we don't know very well and trying to find an area of service to get involved in as a group.  It should be an awesome year!

I started teaching the Baby Jesus nursery class at church on Sunday.  It is for 18-24 month olds.  I have never taught this class before but I think it will be fun!

Ok, something else I have been wrestling with is my grocery budget.  We did Dave Ramsey several years ago and have done the envelope system ever since.  I pay cash for most everything.  My grocery budget is giving me fits.  Every month I get so frustrated because I can't seem to stay in my budget.  What is frustrating is that I try everything I know to save money. I use coupons.  I plan out our meals.  I don't make extravagant dishes.  I don't feel like my budget amount is that unreasonable.  Why can't I figure it out???  SO, the accountant in me came out again.  I guess I missed working with spreadsheets or something.  Ha! I have created a spreadsheet where I input everything I buy off every receipt.  I have it broken out into categories like meat, toiletries, fruits and veggies, etc. kind of by the aisle categories at Wal-mart.  I can see what I am spending each month on stuff.  I even put percentages on it.  I am such a nerd.  But I like being able to see that I spend x% on toiletries and things every month.  Anyway, my thoughts were that this would help me figure this budget problem out.  I feel like this is my job--to use the money that Kris makes to the best of my ability.  I don't know that I always do it, but I am trying.

So, these are some of the things that are filling my days lately.  Oh, did I forget to mention the absolutely ridiculous number of times I get in and out of my car every day?  Crazy.  We also try to have some playdates with our friends.  Yes, I need playdates with my friends too. :)  I'd like to start running so I can run the Jingle Bell Run this year for the first time.  Not sure when I am supposed to find the time to do that.  Oh well.  I should just take one day at a time.  They are more enjoyable that way!

2 comments:

Allison said...

LOVE,LOVE the burlap pumpkins! Did you say you made your own pattern? Also, we still do Dave Ramsey for our grocery budget too and it's getting harder! I think food has gone up a lot since we took that class. I added that we spend about $35 a month on milk alone!

Jamie said...

I did make my own pattern on the pumpkin. You are right about the price of alot of foods. They have gone up. I am seeing them go up from month to month--few cents here, few cents there. All adds up! I know what you are saying about milk. I can not keep it in the frig because we go through it so fast. Last month I think we went through about 9 gallons. At $3.77 a gallon, there's your $35+. Isn't that CRAZY!!!