Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Day of School 2012!

I can't believe that my Lincoln has started Kindergarten!  Time has just flown by.  Seems like just yesterday he was that little mess getting into everything around the house.  Now he is a big mess ready to tackle school and everything that comes with it.

I feel so blessed and thankful to have gotten to be with him here at home for the first 5 1/2 years of his precious life.  He can be quite the handful and make me madder than a hornet sometimes, but he is an absolute joy to watch ALL the time.  He is so full of life and energy, so creative, has a wonderful imagination, works hard at things, is curious, and oh so funny.  

I know he was very ready for Kindergarten.  Now, that doesn't mean he wasn't a little nervous, because I know he was.  When we'd talk about how many days till school started on the days leading up to it, he would act all shy.  I could tell he was unsure about how it would be and what it would be like.

Me?  Well, there are mixed emotions for me.  On the one hand, I was ready for him to go.  Maybe it was just because the summer has worn me out having all three at home (even though it was so fun too) or because I am tired of all the bickering and fighting.  However, when I let myself think about what this event really means, I can get teary eyed pretty easily.  It means he is growing up.  It means he is not going to be at home with me all the time anymore.  That part of our time together is over.  Yes, we will have summers and things, but those first few very impressionable years are completely over.  Ugh.  That makes me sad.  They grow up so fast.  

I didn't cry taking him to school yesterday.  I did cry the night before as I laid in bed saying a prayer for him and Hannah.  That's when it hit me.  I guess it is hitting me now too as I write this, because the tears are falling again.  

My prayer for both of my kiddos is that they have a wonderful year at school learning a lot, making good friends, and growing closer to God as they learn to rely on Him more now instead of their Momma.



Ok, so let's get on to the first day.  I made the kids lunches and had to put little notes in there for them.



First day of school pictures!  Layton was so funny.  He had to go get his empty lunch box which he called his "back pack" when he saw the big kids with theirs.  Can't not include him in the pictures either!  Cheese!!












Then we moved outside for some shots.








Walking into the school.  Such a big boy.


We met up with his teacher in the cafeteria.  Mrs. Beck has been teaching for 32 years now.  I am sure she will be just great!


He got his name tag and we left him for a few minutes to take Hannah to the gym for their assembly.


She found her class and went and sat down.  They did the pledge and had announcements and then we walked back to her classroom.


I pretty much snapped this quick shot of her at her desk and then we left because they were getting started!  I can't believe she is in 2nd grade.  She is going to learn so much this year!


After leaving Hannah we headed over to Lincoln's class.  Mrs. Beck talked about different things for about 10 minutes or so.  Finally, Lincoln said, "This is taking forever."  He was ready to get started!!!

When I picked him up yesterday, I asked Mrs. Beck how he did.  She said he had a great first day!  He told me he enjoyed watching a movie about the rainbow fish, that he ate all his lunch, and that he liked playing outside.  He was quick to pull out his folder and show me his papers too.  After having a Sonic slush and some chocolate chip cookies, he was ready to get outside and ride his bike!!

P.S.  It wasn't until a little later that he said he had gotten 2 strikes.  I asked him why and what that meant and he couldn't remember!!!  Ha!  I guess it wasn't anything too bad or she would have told me.  He is a mess.  I know he is going to have one fun year!!!

No comments: