Monday, November 26, 2007

Family

This is Mama Cille (my mom's mom) and Mammaw (my dad's mom). We were blessed to have both of them together at Thanksgiving this year. Mama Cille is in her late 80's and Mammaw is 91. They both had to go into a nursing home a few months back. The really neat thing is that they are in the same room together. They are such sweet ladies and I love them very much.

I love big families. I love my family. My mom's side of the family has 42 people in it plus 1 on the way. My grandfather, Papa Jim, died several years ago. My grandmother, Mama Cille, has 5 kids, 15 grand kids, 10 great-grand kids, and 11 in-laws. We spent Thanksgiving Day together at my parents' house.

We had the usual great Thanksgiving food. We have to have double and triple the amounts to feed everyone. It is all delicious! We went outside and threw the football around and watched the kids play as usual. However, this Thanksgiving we did something that we have never done before. We all went around the room and everyone had to tell what they were thankful for. Some said they were thankful for health, freedom, jobs, soft toilet paper (yes, that one was MY husband), and vasectomies (no, that one was NOT my husband). The ones that hit me were the ones that were thankful for family and for Mama Cille. She has played a huge part in making our family what it is today. We are by no means perfect people or the perfect family, but we were all raised in Christian homes and have some great godly people in our lives. That is definitely something to be thankful for.

It just gave me something to think about. If I live to see my grandchildren and great-grandchildren, I hope that I can have the same kind of influence on them as my grandmother has had on her family. I hope they will say they are thankful for me.

Now for the pictures...





























1 comment:

Matt and Rachel said...

Looks like you had a fun Thanksgiving! Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!