Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Pickin' Peaches

Peaches go way back in my family (probably farther back than I know). My mom grew up in Nashville, Arkansas. Her mom, my Mama Cille, was a Jamison. Some of her family have Jamison Farm in Nashville, where they have a peach orchard. Mama Cille loved peaches. So, my mom grew up picking them, peeling them, and "putting them up" in different ways. I remember at least once when I was little going to the peach orchard and pickin' peaches. Over the years, I've heard much talk about peaches, how much mom's family loved them, and how they would always go get them some every year.

So, I decided I wanted to go get some peaches this past weekend. I had heard of an orchard where you could pick your own. I thought it would be something fun and memorable to do while Mimi and Pappaw were in town.

We had to get up early to leave to be there to pick between 7 a.m & 9 a.m! We went to Larry High's Orchard in Cabot. It was a cloudy morning and we knew rain was coming but we went anyway and got there at about 8 a.m. We had to really hurry to pick the peaches because the rain was coming any minute, so my pictures were rushed. I really wanted to get some of everyone pickin' peaches though!

Lincoln thought they were balls and would throw them into the box.


Both of the kids were such helpers!


Hannah reaching for the perfect one!

"Got it!"

Lincoln wanted to carry the box, but it was a little too heavy.


We finished just as the rain started! We filled 2 boxes (62 lbs of peaches) and split the cost. We each got about 31 lbs of peaches for $1 per lb. There were a lot of peaches!!
When we got home, Mom helped me put up mine since she is such a pro at it!

I was glad to see Hannah was interested and wanted to help! Mimi explained to her about how to peel them, cut them up, put Fruit Fresh and sugar on them, stir them up to make juice, and then put them in bags for the freezer.




Had to put in a good picture of her hair. She did it herself! Isn't it lovely?!



This is all we did that day. I made 2 fresh peach pies for Kris (his favorite), had 5 qts of sliced, 6 pints of chunks, and a box of ones to put up later or eat!

I did this much more on Monday! This was just MY peaches. Mom did her own at home. I think we are going to be eating a lot of peaches!!!

I enjoyed this day. I just want to keep this kind of stuff in the family. I think it is neat and one day the kids can look back on this and learn a little about some of the family they never knew!

1 comment:

The Warriors said...

That looks DELICIOUS!! What a fun memory!