Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Kris' Latest Projects

Back in October, Kris started a project to replace the green granite looking stuff on our fireplace. We have never cared for it. This is what the fireplace looked like before. He had gotten one piece off already when I thought to take the before picture.

Green.


This is the way the whole fireplace looked before--decorations and all.

To be able to put in the new black marble tiles, he had to take the whole mantel down.

Laying the new tiles. He had to cut into the hardwood floors too to get everything to fit just right.

Putting in the grout.

When it was time to put the mantel back up, it kind of fell apart. I think it had been built on the wall in pieces originally. SO, what did Kris decide to do, why, build a new one!!! He worked really hard on it.

Looking good!! He used some really pretty moldings.

All up!! I love it!

After finishing getting the mantel up, he stopped to help Lincoln build a bat.

Love his tongue hanging out while he was concentrating.

Linc and the bat he made!

So, when I walked into the house that Tuesday after Christmas after having been gone for almost a week, I immediately smelled paint. I saw the mantel. We had talked about hiring a lady that Kris knows from work to come paint it because Kris didn't want to mess it up. I had no idea, though, that he was having it done while I was gone. He also had all the baseboards, chair rails, trim, and doors painted in the whole house. We have needed that done since we bought the house. It looked like the previous owners had put one coat of paint on everything and it just didn't look good. I was thrilled to have all that done! It looked so nice!

The After pictures.

My plan is to redo the decor on top of the mantel. I have been looking but haven't quite found what I want yet. So, for now it is the same as before.


Another project Kris did a couple weekends ago was that he put a new microwave in above our stove. I don't have a before picture, but he had to take out the cabinets about the stove. He just put a piece of wood in their place. Once he stained it, you can barely tell that it was not always like that. We have plans to paint our cabinets at some point, so this won't even matter. I did lose the cabinet space above the stove though. I had all my cookbooks in it. I had to find another place for them. But it totally opened up a lot more space on the countertop because now there is not a microwave sitting on it. It also allowed me a space for my new mixer!

I love having a handy husband!

1 comment:

kristen g. said...

He did an amazing job on the mantel! Kirklands and Home Goods both have some cool decor right now, big sales too. :)