Monday, July 22, 2013

Father's Day 2013

Father's Day this year was really good.  The kids had made special things for Kris and they gave them to him that morning.




We also got him a couple of shirts.


I had to get this one when I saw it because it reminded me of Si on Duck Dynasty.  He says this.  Kris and I love this show!!



Kris is a great daddy to our kids.  I can't say enough about the example he sets.  He is an amazing example of faith in God, honesty, loyalty, friendship, service to others, giving, thoughtfulness and hard work just to name a few things.  He does so much "behind the scenes".  What I mean by this is that he does things that are not necessarily talked about by him, but that the kids just watch and see.  For example, he is a great Bible class teacher and while the kids aren't in his class yet (he teaches the 4th grade Sunday morning Bible class), they hear him talk about it and see him preparing for it sometimes.  They have also gotten to watch him as he was the Mad Scientist during VBS and listen to him teach them about Joshua.  They also see him doing all kinds of things/projects around the house and really working hard at them.  They have seen some of his special friendships such as with Sean Wicks from Australia.  They watched him be there for Sean while Sean's little boy was battling cancer.  They have heard stories about his special friend Steven from Australia and how he impacted Kris and how much Kris cared about him.  They also see him with Tremayne and get to hear about how close they are.  Kris is a very loyal friend and I am glad the kids get to see this about him.

Kris is great at encouraging the kids and telling them they did a good job at something.  He is also thoughtful and loves to get them things and surprise them.  He loves to snuggle in the recliner with them and watch t.v.  He loves to just be near them.  He reads them meaningful bedtime stories.  He has a really neat collection of children's books that all have a lesson to them.  He knows this and chooses to read these to them at bedtimes sometimes.

Your kiddos adore you, Kris, and I do too!  So blessed to have you in our life!


Now, I couldn't do a Father's Day post without mentioning our own fathers.  As I was typing the above paragraphs about Kris, it hit me that much of what I wrote about him can be said about his own dad.  I know how Kris feels about him and he has a TREMENDOUS amount of love and respect for him.  I know very well that Kris is the way he is largely due to his dad being the way he is.  For that, I am so thankful to Lyle.  He is a very special guy.  He's had a tough year with his accident, but has bounced back amazingly!  We are so thankful to God for allowing him to heal and for allowing us to be able to be in his presence.


It is easy for me to get teary-eyed when I think about my own dad.  He's had a tough year too.  Not sure what I would do without him and I just thank God all the time for allowing his accident to not have been more serious.  It has been hard watching my dad being a bit less than his ridiculously strong self--physically.  However, I have admired his determination and pretty positive attitude this whole time.  It is hard to keep a good man down.  My dad has always been such a hard worker.  He is faithful and spiritual.  He is trustworthy and likable.  One of my favorite things about my dad is that he is sentimental.  He tears up easily (I am the same way), but I have always admired this side of him.  I could go on and on, but the tears are flowing now and I need to stop!  Ha!  I love you Dad!!!


No comments: