Friday, August 26, 2016

School Update

Mr. Layton had a rocky start to school much to my surprise.  The first day he went with no problems, but after that when it came time for him to get out of the car in the carpool line in front of the gym in the mornings, he would refuse to get out.  I would have to let the big kids out and drive back around to the front of the school and try to get him to get out.  One morning Kris took them and he finally walked in the front of the building with Hannah.  The next day with me, he refused to get out, kicked his shoes off, and had quite the little fit--all in front of the principal.  Not fun.  At that point, I had to tell him that he was going to have his Kindle time taken away if he didn't put his shoes on and get out.  I told him I would walk him in as long as he let me go when we got to the cafeteria.  He still cried when I left and kept saying that he wanted to go home.  Oh how this has been hard.  I guess I just wasn't prepared for it.  He went to 3 years worth of preschool and I don't remember him crying not one day.  I can't help but wonder if Ledger being at home with me is causing some of this.

Well, a friend suggested we arrive at school at the same time and drop the kids off together so that they could walk in together.  This worked great for Layton.  Yay!


The next day he had to stay home from school because of an infection.  I think he needed that day to realize school was not so bad because the next day everything turned around.  He hasn't had a problem being dropped off since.

I guess it has just been a hard transition for him---and for me.  He has always been my baby and my buddy.  I guess we both felt that loss.  Sometimes it is sad watching your kids grow up.

No comments: