Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Swimming Lessons for Layton

Layton took his first swimming lessons during the first week of June.  The big kids were still in school so it was perfect timing for me to do this with him.  He was VERY excited!  He is not scared of the water at all and I just knew he was going to do well.  We were extremely lucky that his class only ended up being he and another little girl the entire time.  In fact, I think 3 of the 5 days, he was the only one.  So, he actually got some private lessons too.  I really like Molly.  She has taught all three of my kids to swim now.  We will definitely take him back for Level 2 next year!

She started off with the basics--kicking...


getting his head under and bobbing...


laying on his back...


laying on his back and kicking...



At the end she would let him jump in the pool from the side.  He LOVED this and wanted to do it over and over again.  He would jump/dance around at the side of the pool while waiting his turn.  It was adorable.

Here are some videos of his progression during the lessons.






He was having a little trouble figuring out how to lunge in from the step head first and swim to her.  I decided to see if goggles would help.  So, I let him go pick some out.  It made all the difference.  From then on, he was able to do exactly what he was supposed to do and now won't even use his goggles anymore.






By the weekend of July 4th, he was able to do this at my aunt's house.




Then, a few days ago, he basically dove into the pool all my himself and swam to the side.  I love this kid.  He has no fear and is the cutest little thing.


He wants to be just like the big kids.


Everyone at the pool that sees him can't believe how well he is swimming.  They always ask me how old he is.  When I tell them four, sometimes they are surprised.  He looks younger because he is such a shorty.  He might be short in stature, but he is BIG in personality!



Today at the pool, he and Hannah were jumping in from the side.  He did it over and over again and loved every minute of it.  Cute little toot.

No comments: