Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas at Home 2011

Our Christmas at home was a little different this year.  This was our year to be in Kansas City for Christmas, so we had to figure out how we were going to work doing Santa.  We had plans to leave Thursday evening and drive to Branson, spend the night, and then drive the rest of the way Friday morning.  I think it was Monday night, we decided Santa might need to come Wednesday night instead of waiting till we got home the following Monday night.  The kids sent their email to Santa that Monday night telling him that they were not going to be back until the Monday after Christmas and asked him to come then.  They also told him what they wanted. 

Our Christmas traditions have to be a bit different from the norm since we have to be out of town every other year.  We don't get to do the whole leave Santa milk and cookies and wake up Christmas morning to open presents.  That is ok though.  We have made our own traditions--we usually send him an email with an email address that Kris created just for this purpose every year.  Well, that night after the kids sent their email we decided we probably needed to go ahead and have Santa come before we left for KC.  So, Santa sent an email back the next morning telling them

"Thank you for letting me know that you will be at your Grandma and Grandad's house during Christmas.  How about I go ahead and make a test run with the sleigh and bring your presents a little early.  In fact, I can probably bring them Wednesday evening--but you'll need to make sure that you aren't at the house when I arrive.  Why don't you suggest to your mom and dad that you all go out for dinner and I'll probably come then." 

That Santa is a pretty smart guy.  Ha!  Our little tradition has become that we go eat at Sakura, a Japanese steakhouse.  It is always a nice little treat.  So that's what we did.  They were so excited to get in the house and see what Santa had brought.  I barely had the camera ready before they walked in so I could get their reactions!

Lincoln's face cracks me up in this picture.  He was focused on looking everything over!!!  Hannah was just all smiles!
Lincoln was all smiles when he saw his Imaginext T-Rex.
Hannah pointed out Layton's 3-in-1 tricycle.
Layton quickly found his Little People ramping race car set.

LOVE his face when he found his tricycle!!!!
Hannah was so happy!  She got her Lalaloopsy Doll that she asked Santa for.
Lincoln got his Spider Man String Net Shooter.
Hannah wanted a basketball.  She has been playing basketball alot at school.  Maybe she will take after her Momma!??


Hannah got a sewing machine.  She was excited about it and couldn't wait to give it a try.
I stuck this picture in here to show her using her new sewing machine.  This was after we had gotten home from KC.  It is a little hard to do without help, but I think it will be fun to her!
Of course, the boys had to add to their tool collection from Daddy.  This year was a screwdriver set.
Hannah Burton had this Bible a while back at church.  I thought it was so neat, so I ordered it from Life Way.  It is a Day by Day Kid's Bible.  You read the Bible in 1 year, 7 minutes a day.  I think this will be neat for Hannah and I to do together.  She has been really good about doing the daily bible reading that Ms. Tina assigns for the Faith in Action class.  I think she can do this!

She got a much needed alarm clock/radio.  She LOVES the radio!!!
New Leapster Game--Scooby Doo.  We still love our Leapster.
Hannah was so cute.  This year several weeks before Christmas she went and wrapped some presents for each one of us.  She just took things from her room that she wanted to give away and used some of her scrapbook paper to wrap them up.  We each got something that she thought we would like.  She gave Layton a raccoon stuffed animal.

She was so funny.  She gave me one of her ceramic dishes that goes with a dish set she has.  It made me laugh.  I love her.
Kris got me a couple of cookbooks.  One of them was the Pioneer Woman's cookbook.  Yay!
I also got a cast-iron Dutch oven.  Love it!
And some rain boots that I wanted!
Lincoln watching Kris open his gift from Hannah.
It was a little note pad!  How hilarious is that???  She beats all.
I got Kris some boots
and some Razorback stuff--as he seems to have become quite the little Hog fan.
It was a great Christmas and I am thankful for my hard-working husband who helps make it all possible!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I'm dying to know how Santa gets all the gifts out while you guys are gone to dinner!

Jamie said...

Kris always "forgets" something once we get in the car to leave to go to the restaurant. It sure does take him a long time to get back. Ha!