Monday, December 9, 2013

Passin' it on

I borrowed the title of this blog from a little devotional thought from this book that I just was reading this morning.


It was such a timely read for me as I was just blogging yesterday about celebrating Mammaw's life.  Deuteronomy 4:9 says "Do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and to their children after them."  It is about leaving a legacy.  That word has got to be the theme for me this year I would say.  It just keeps coming up and smacking me in the face.

The writer of this devo says to take time to write down at least 3 important lessons you've learned in life so far.  So, here are mine.  They are not profound.  In fact, they are quite ordinary, but they are very real--for me.

1.)  Sometimes we think that what we are praying for is what we should be praying for, but later we realize God knows what we really need.

2.)  You can't change people.  You can only change you.

3.)  Don't give up just because something is hard--or time consuming, or messy, or not what you thought it was going to be.

The writer of the devo says "God wants us to focus on the good memories and the positive lessons."  She said she could list many lessons she's learned in life.  But her children have taught her one of the most important ones:  "Children are precious."

I really needed to hear that this morning.  We are on our 4th day of being stuck in the house due to winter weather and the walls are kind of closing in on me a bit.  My children are precious even though they drive me batty some times.  I may not be able to change their attitudes but I can change mine.  It might be tough today trying to keep everyone from pulling each others hair out, but I gotta get in there and help them make some good memories.  Off I go.

No comments: