Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The ABC's of Summer

I was so excited for summer vacation to get here this year! I was ready to have Hannah home and ready to start the fun! Before school was out, I started making some plans. I found some really neat websites with all kinds of fun ideas. I decided we would have some ABC fun. I also wanted to include some memory verse learning and some daily chores. One of their chores every day is to make their beds. Hannah started doing this last year during school and has mastered it. This was Lincoln's first time at it. He knows it doesn't have to be perfect. A bed up against the wall is hard to do. As long as he attempts it, I am happy. This was his first go at it.

Hannah does a great job!

So, we started off with the letter A. We learned our Address! Hannah definitely knows it. Lincoln, we still go over it quite a bit. It won't be long before he gets it. We made Aliens!




They made an Airplane in the living room. This was fun. They even included Layton in on this fun. He was a passenger I guess.

For the letter B, we went Bowling as a family. This was Hannah's first time. Benton has a great bowling alley. I am sure we will be going back there. I took lots of bowling pictures.




Linc was an old pro (He had gone once with his Daddy.). He knew exactly what to do and attacked it!


He was so animated after he would bowl. It was so cute to watch him. He would get so excited when he'd knock some pins down.




Layton just sat in his stroller and watched the whole time. So good!

Kris and I had a little friendly competition going on. We are both a little competitive. I was winning until the very end. He beat me by one silly point, 108 to 107! Stinker! I want a rematch!





LOVE his excitement!

Another thing we have been doing with each letter is practicing writing them. This is good for Hannah, but will help Lincoln learn how to write his letters. I found some tracing sheets online.


The kids played with Blocks.

We had Blueberry Parfaits one day. Yummy!

I spent one afternoon making all these water Balloons.



It took no time for them to be used up. They have been asking to do this again already. It was great fun!






For the letter C, we made Clowns out of ice cream and ice cream cones.




Practicing our C's and Coloring.


While Hannah was coloring, Lincoln decided he wanted to play with a new car that he had gotten out of a cereal box that morning. The next thing I know he had it decorated like this. Cracks me up!


We made Cookies together--Snickerdoodles because I had all the ingredients. Hannah helped by reading us the recipe.

They took turns adding in the ingredients.

Then they helped roll the dough into balls and roll it in the cinnamon and sugar.




We have worked on 2 memory verses so far.

Fear not, for I am with you. Isaiah 43:5 (I thought this would be a good one to help combat some of the nightmares/bad dreams we have been contending with lately.)

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

Yesterday Hannah helped me make Green Bean Bundles to take to the Hawkins and helped me fold a load of laundry. Why have I not used her to help fold laundry before?? She will definitely be helping me with that some more. She was a good little laundry folder and helped me so much!


Other plans for this summer are to keep going with the alphabet fun as well as try to go diamond hunting at Murfreesboro, keep going to Wild River Country as much as possible, soccer camp in July, and big kids spend a week with Mimi and Pappaw in July. We are doing the Summer Reading Program at the library this summer too. We have been reading alot. I am also super excited to try our hand at camping!!! Kris got us a big tent for our anniversary--something I had been saying I wanted us to try. So, the kids are SUPER excited about this. We just have to figure out when and where we are going to do it.

2 comments:

Jessica Harriman said...

Wow! You are one creative Mama!

shelley ancel said...

You are a great mom! Lake Slyvia was where we went last year to camp.